After years of staying home due to the pandemic, the start of the school year is a welcome relief for both parents and their school-age children. They’ll finally see their friends and classmates again, and the grown-ups can have a bit of peace and get some work done with the house all to themselves.
But like with anything in life, school season can also be extra-stressful and overwhelming without the proper prep work done. For example, cleaning the home should be more intensive —given the threat of COVID, monkeypox, and other infectious diseases — but can also be more difficult because you’re now busier and rushing more than ever for school runs and pickups.
So how do you manage? In this article, we share expert cleaning tips from our professional home cleaners in Louisville that can be helpful for parents who want their spaces nice and tidy amidst the busyness of the school season.
Set up a mud room or shoe storage in the entryway
A mud room is a dedicated space for taking off dirty shoes, boots, jackets, or raincoats. The beauty of having a mudroom is the dust, dirt, and other messes don’t get dragged inside your home. Plus, it’s a must-have in Louisville, Kentucky, which averages 11 inches of snowfall yearly.
You can have it at your home’s front or rear entrance or porch. If you don’t have a mud room, create a makeshift one in your foyer or entryway. Some mudroom essentials include:
- A bench for sitting down when taking off shoes
- Coat hooks for jackets, raincoats, and other outerwear
- Alcohol and sanitizing wipes
- Rugs for wiping shoes and other messes
- Boxes or a rack for storing shoes neatly
- A bucket for wet umbrellas
If you have hardwood floors, it’s an excellent strategy to have a washable rug for easier cleaning and maintenance.
Clean and organize study areas
Like grown-ups, children find it challenging to focus and concentrate while working on their homework when sitting in a cluttered and chaotic room. So before term starts, make sure you prep by doing the following:
- Declutter their workspaces, including tables, drawers, and shelves
- Remove toys and other potential causes of distraction
- Stock up on essential stationery and school supplies
- Clean windows so they have an excellent source of natural light during daytime
Deep clean major appliances
Before school season kicks off, give your dishwasher, microwave, washing machine, oven, and refrigerator a major deep cleaning to ensure they’ll be at peak performance when everything gets hectic.
Related: How to Clean Your Oven with Minimal Effort
Make cleaning a family project
Maintaining the cleanliness of your home requires work and effort not only from you but from every member of the family — including the little ones! Give everyone age-appropriate cleaning responsibilities, even something as simple as:
- Making up their bed when they wake up in the morning
- Picking up their toys when they’re finished
- Clean up their little messes
- Fold or hang their own clothes
- Putting dishes or used lunch boxes in the sink
- Taking their shoes off in the mud room
Messy Home? Let SuperCleaning Save The Day!
One of the best cleaning tips is: don’t try to do everything alone. Experience premium cleaning service with SuperCleaning Louisville. We’ve got the best professional house cleaners who are all insured, bonded, and carefully background-checked for your peace of mind.
We cater to clients across Louisville and surrounding areas and offer the following cleaning services:
- Standard residential cleaning
- Deep cleaning
- Move-in/ move-out cleaning
- Post-construction cleans
So, what are you waiting for? Make your life easier. Book a home cleaning service in Louisville today!